A Chemainus man is warning others about the nasty effects of giant hogweed after his dog found out about it the hard way.
Kyle Goodwin was walking along the Swallowfield Road path when his two-year-old German Shepherd/Husky cross River inadvertently encountered the invasive species.
“My dog unfortunately ran into it without me knowing it was there,” Goodwin indicated.
Giant hogweed is on both sides of the Swallowfield walking path, he pointed out.
The dog experienced a severe chemical burn on her snout, requiring anti-inflammatory treatment and antibiotics. She is doing better now.
“The swelling’s down and it’s getting under control,” said Goodwin. “It’s very treatable, but it’s very nasty when they first get it.
“I’m sure people know it’s there, but it’s just a reminder – it can be very hurtful.”
Giant hogweed has been known to cause blindness so the community needs to be fully aware, Goodwin added.