HISTORICAL MOMENT                                 Niels Neilson Bonde, from Denmark, came to Victoria in 1880. When he wasn’t sealing, he was working on Chemainus tugs. This is the tug “Chemainus” with Captain Bonde in the doorway, circa 1912. Tug No. 126509 was built in 1909 for the Victoria Lumber and Manufacturing Company. She was 93 feet long, 22 feet in width, and 10 feet in depth. Her gross tonnage was 153. Originally designed to burn coal, she was converted to oil around the 1920s. Captain Bonde was proud of his record of never losing a boom, according to the book Memories of the Chemainus Valley. There are many more great historical photos on display at the Chemainus Valley Museum, open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Photo submitted)

HISTORICAL MOMENT Niels Neilson Bonde, from Denmark, came to Victoria in 1880. When he wasn’t sealing, he was working on Chemainus tugs. This is the tug “Chemainus” with Captain Bonde in the doorway, circa 1912. Tug No. 126509 was built in 1909 for the Victoria Lumber and Manufacturing Company. She was 93 feet long, 22 feet in width, and 10 feet in depth. Her gross tonnage was 153. Originally designed to burn coal, she was converted to oil around the 1920s. Captain Bonde was proud of his record of never losing a boom, according to the book Memories of the Chemainus Valley. There are many more great historical photos on display at the Chemainus Valley Museum, open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Photo submitted)

The tug “Chemainus”

Captain Bonde a fixture for his work in the area

HISTORICAL MOMENT

Niels Neilson Bonde, from Denmark, came to Victoria in 1880. When he wasn’t sealing, he was working on Chemainus tugs. This is the tug “Chemainus” with Captain Bonde in the doorway, circa 1912. Tug No. 126509 was built in 1909 for the Victoria Lumber and Manufacturing Company. She was 93 feet long, 22 feet in width, and 10 feet in depth. Her gross tonnage was 153. Originally designed to burn coal, she was converted to oil around the 1920s. Captain Bonde was proud of his record of never losing a boom, according to the book Memories of the Chemainus Valley. There are many more great historical photos on display at the Chemainus Valley Museum, open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Photo submitted)

Don Bodger

The Courier

Captain Bonde a fixture for his work in the area