The Chemainus Cenotaph’s previous location might not be known to many in the community.
Willow Street was once known as Albert Street which housed St. Michael’s Anglican Church, built in 1891.
The Cenotaph was located in the middle of the street. It was dedicated there in 1921 and moved to the present location next to Waterwheel Park in 1950. When this occurred, Albert Street became known as Willow Street.
The large building adjacent to the church was the Masonic building, completed in 1927.
Find out more about facts like this at the Chemainus Valley Museum on Willow Street.