Cowichan Valley Earth Guardians crew has been very active in climate change issues on behalf of youth, but dealing with a lot of naysayers. Can adults possibly deny the effects of population on the climate? (Photo courtesy of Katia Bannister)

Population increase a disaster to the climate

Impact of more people weighs heavily on the Earth

Billions and billions served.

The first thing you’ll think about when reading that statement is McDonald’s. What should pop into our minds is how on earth can this planet continue to serve billions and billions of more people? It can’t happen.

Conversations and demonstrations about the climate change crisis, as far as we’re aware, hardly mention the impact of the human population. It is clearly the single biggest threat far above all the other factors.

Swedish teenage activist Greta Thunberg, herself, should be firing this fact out there since it’s a point the nay-sayers can’t really scoff about.

No one can deny what is happening with out-of-control population numbers. There are 7.7 billion people on Earth as of April this year. It took 200,000 years of human existence to reach one billion people and only 200 years since then to hit the seven billion mark.

China has 18.5 per cent of the world’s population and India has 17.9 per cent for a ridiculous combined total of 36.4 per cent – in just two nations.

The annual death rate absolutely has to start exceeding the birth rate or this planet is in serious trouble based on that trend alone. More people means more land cleared for development, resulting in the loss of more trees and habitat for wildlife stocks that are dwindling everywhere.

Humans cull animal populations that are a nuisance simply because we can, but no one is doing anything to keep the human population in check.

Can you imagine the reduction in the carbon footprint by having one billion less people on the Earth? We simply can’t process more human waste and alarming mounds of garbage from consumer products, for starters, without serious damage to the environment, as we’re discovering now.

That’s not to mention the additional vehicles on the road and the ensuing emissions. The list goes on.

Getting world leaders to agree on anything is an impossibility, but perhaps China and India should take the initiative because their numbers are far in excess of everyone else’s. The need has never been greater for the sake of the planet’s future.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

VIDEO: Internet famous Yukon-based bhangra dancer explores Vancouver Island

Gurdeep Pandher spreads joy through dance, forms cross-cultural connections amid pandemic

AAPs the best way to prevent defeat

Project in complete error and should be paid for by the Feds, Province

Five new handyDART buses serving Cowichan

Buses to replace older vehicles being removed from the fleet

Historical moment

Store depicted in mural stood near the Thetis Island ferry terminal

Crafty people

Homemade handicrafts among the goods for sale outside the Chemainus Public Market

53 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths cap off week of high infection rates in B.C.

Roughly 1,500 people are self-isolating because they either have COVID-19 or have been exposed to it

Unofficial holidays: the weird and wonderful things people celebrate around the world

On any given day of the year, there are several strange, silly or serious holidays to observe

Missing teen visiting Courtenay found safe

She had last been seen going for a walk on Aug. 6

Moving on: Tanev scores 11 seconds into OT as Canucks oust Wild

Vancouver beats Minnesota 5-4 to move into first round of NHL playoffs

Fitness non-profit challenges citizens to invent a game to be physically active

The campaign was launched after a study showed only 4.8 per cent of children and youths in Canada met required standards of the 24-hour movement guidelines

Gene editing debate takes root with organic broccoli, new UBC research shows

Broccoli is one of the best-known vegetables with origins in this scientific haze

VIDEO: U.S. Air Force pilot does fly-by for B.C. son amid COVID border separation

Sky-high father-son visit plays out over White Rock Pier

3 Vancouver police officers test positive for COVID after responding to large party

Union president says other officers are self-isolating due to possible exposure

New mothers with COVID-19 should still breastfeed: Canada’s top doctor

Dr. Theresa Tam made the recommendation during World Breastfeeding Awareness Week

Most Read