One man is facing charges of assault and drug possession following an alleged attack with a machete in Nanaimo on Sunday, Nov. 26. (News Bulletin file photo)

Man arrested in Nanaimo after alleged machete attack

One man facing multiple charges following report of an attack with machete on Sunday

One man has been arrested and is facing multiple charges after he allegedly attacked another man with a machete in Nanaimo last night.

Police were called to a multi-suite rental house on the 100 block of Wakesiah Avenue on Sunday at about 8:30 p.m.

“It was a male threatening another male in a house and he was thought to be armed with a machete,” said Const. Gary O’Brien.

When police arrived, the 33-year-old victim had fled the home, but the alleged assailant was thought to be still inside so police evacuated one of the suites and then brought in a police service dog team to search the residence, but failed to find the 37-year-old suspect in the home.

“Three hours later he returns home,” O’Brien said. “We locate him in the carport of the home, he’s arrested without incident and held in custody.”

Officers found a small amount of drugs, suspected to be cocaine and heroin, on the suspect, who was scheduled to appear in Nanaimo provincial court Monday to face two counts of assault, two counts of uttering threats and two counts of possession of a controlled substance (cocaine and heroin).

“The machete was not located and the victim was not injured during the assault,” O’Brien said.



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Music, performances first rate in ‘The Sound Of Music’

Multi-talented cast leaves a great impression, including all the kids

Chemainus Cougars qualify for Island senior boys basketball tournament

Heroics by captain Simpson and Harris lead to challenge victory over Campbell River Christian

It’s a lovebeat at Daponte’s Valentine’s Day show

Heavy snow outside blurs the lines of exactly what occasion was being celebrated

Back to school for Vancouver Island’s snow-covered kids, more snow coming

All school districts in business this morning but officials warn another 5-10 centimetres today

Ongoing 18-year road trip a test of relationship endurance

Dale and Jeanette Hillis hitch up their fifth wheel and remained hitched through thick and thin

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Poverty coalition has high hopes for B.C. poverty reduction strategy

Funding allocation expected to be released with 2019 budget

‘How did we get here?’: B.C. mom of transplant recipient worries about measles outbreaks

Addison, 7, cannot get a live vaccine because she has a heart transplant

Steelhead LNG stops work on Kwispaa LNG project near Bamfield

Huu-ay-aht First Nations ‘deeply disappointed; Steelhead says funding is the problem

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

Moose Hide campaign takes message to Canadian schools

Campaign launches new K-12 education platform

‘Violent’ B.C. man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Prince George man with ties to Vernon sought by police

Homicide police investigate assault turned deadly in Surrey

60-year-old man died at hospital after assault

Most Read