Groundbreaking conducted Friday for new RCMP facility

Fall 2022 the target for completion of construction

Local partners gathered Friday morning to officially break ground at the corner of Ford Road and Drinkwater Road at the location for the new North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP facility.

Construction on the integrated facility, which will bring Forensic Identification Services, South Island Traffic, Indigenous Policing, and Municipal and Provincial officers together under one roof, is expected to begin early next year. The target for the completion of construction is the fall of 2022.

Many of the materials to be used in the construction are innovative, such as mass timber. The facility will be built with specific energy consumption targets.

“I am so pleased to be here today celebrating this milestone, as getting to this point has been years in the making,” stated North Cowichan Mayor Al Siebring. “A project of this scope involves numerous partners, whom I’m excited to celebrate with today, and I want to thank everyone involved for their dedication and commitment in getting this project off the ground.”

“This is an exciting day for myself and my colleagues,” said Inspector Chris Bear, detachment commander for the North Cowichan-Duncan RCMP. “We have long outgrown our current space, and with the many advancements in law enforcement over the last 40 years, this new building will meet the needs of a contemporary policing model, accommodating the enhanced operations and necessary policing technologies to provide enhanced public safety.”

The total estimated budget for the project is $49.03 million, with the Municipality funding 40 per cent of the total cost and the RCMP the remaining 60 per cent.

A feasibility study is currently being conducted, with the help of funding from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. Council has not yet made a decision on potential future uses for the old RCMP building and land, but will be taking matters into consideration at future meetings.

Municipal GovernmentPolice

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

New Chemainus development offers prime building lots in a diverse neighbourhood

Beachwood Estates officially opens with interest already high due to its location

Historical Moment Sept. 24

Original Clement’s Drug Store at the corner of Mill Street and Chemainus Road

Motorists should expect periodic delays and detours on Chemainus and River Roads

Work on corridor upgrade project to intensify in the weeks ahead

Kernachan’s cartoon flashback 2017

What was happening then is pertinent again with recent wildfire smoke

What’s the point of this election?

It might make political sense, but totally wrong during a pandemic

B.C. records 98 more COVID-19 cases, most in Lower Mainland

One new senior home outbreak, Surrey Memorial outbreak over

Vancouver Island Tour de Rock riders roll into Parksville Qualicum Beach

Saturday’s schedule includes Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino, followed by Nanaimo on Sunday

PHOTOS: 2nd calf in a month confirmed among Southern Resident killer whale pod

Center for Whale Research said they will eagerly await to observe the calf to evaluate its health

97 distressed horses, cats and dogs seized from farm in Princeton

RCMP assisted as BC SPCA executed search warrant

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

$250K reward offered as investigation continues into Sea to Sky Gondola vandalism

Police also asking for specific footage of Sea to Sky highway around time of incident

Trudeau ‘disappointed’ by RCMP treatment of Sikh officers over mask issue

World Sikh Organization of Canada said taking Sikh officers off the front lines constitutes discrimination

Liberals reach deal with NDP on COVID-19 aid bill, likely averting election

NDP and the Liberals have reached an agreement on COVID-19 sick-leave

Most Read