The Ethel Hunter, seen on another voyage in its heyday, was a familiar sight in local waters for many years. (Photo submitted)

The Ethel Hunter, seen on another voyage in its heyday, was a familiar sight in local waters for many years. (Photo submitted)

Thetis Island ferry named in honour of Ethel Hunter

Many desendants still live on the Island

The Chemainus Valley is rich in history and significant tales from the past. Watch for other historical tidbits in future issues.

Thetis Island was given ferry service in 1959.

The new ferry was named after Ethel Hunter, a pioneer of Thetis Island. Ethel Fawcett arrived on Thetis Island in 1908 and married Peter Hunter. Peter and his brother had bought some land on Thetis in the late 1800s and proceeded to clear the land to build their home.

Ethel and Peter had two children, Ena and son Adam. They were the pupils at the Island’s first school.

Ethel took part in the ferry inauguration ceremonies with relish and aplomb. She was 80 years old then and lived to be 92.

Many of her descendants still live on the Island.

To check out more stories and photographs, stop in at the Chemainus Valley Museum, 9799 Waterwheel Crescent in downtown Chemainus. Be a tourist in your own hometown.