Time for our third annual Holiday gardening quiz! Are you ready? Carols playing in the background, friends on hand to help? Enjoy!
1) What is the latin name of the Christmas rose?
2) What plant family do Poinsettias belong to?
3) What are Frankincense and Myrrh made from?
4) Which nuts are no longer deemed safe enough to be sold in their shells in Europe?
5) What is the name given to the technique of clipping trees and hedges into ornamental shapes?
6) Galanthus is one of the first flowers to appear in spring, what is its common name?
7) What fruit was cultivated by crossing a raspberry and a blackberry?
8) Every year, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, produces and ships thousands of which essential Christmas item?
9) What flower changes colour from blue to pink according to the amount of acid in the soil?
10) There is a flower with a charming name that makes us think of Christmas. However, it doesn’t bloom at Christmas. What is it?
Answers: 1) Helleborus Niger 2) Euphorbia 3) Dried tree resin 4) Brazil 5) topiary 6) snowdrop 7) loganberry 8) Christmas trees 9) Hydrangea 10) Star of Bethlehem
Have a very Happy Holiday, Hoe, Hoe, Hoe! Happy New Year from all of us at Chemainus Communities in Bloom.